Verholen Bar backs question - dealer cost to install

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Verholen Bar backs question - dealer cost to install

Postby BackNBlack » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:24 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone who has had their dealer install Verholen Bar backs on the R1200R can comment on what sounds like excessive cost estimate I was quoted for dealer to install. They quoted me $146 USD to install the Verholens because of needing to re-route cables, not new, longer cables, just rerouting. I really just want to do this myself, but it doesn't sound as simple as just lifting bars, inserting verholens and retorquing. So I prefer dealer to do. I appreciate any input from others who have had dealer do this or done themselves. I saw some information from doing Search on the topic, but looking for additional input.

Thanks,

Bill

I also thought as long as the bar backs dont require longer cables, the dealer should be able to charge less if they do this along with work on the NHTSA brake recall.
R1200R!
BackNBlack
Basic User

Re: Verholen Bar backs question - dealer cost to install

Postby qgaex » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46 am

Hi Bill

If you don't want longer cables (--> brake line) it is easy as 1-2-3 and will take you or your dealer about 10 minutes of work.
You have to be careful then not to tilt the bar back too much so that the brake line is not stretched too much.
Better get a new (about 1.5") longer brake line. Then you can play with the handlebar as much as you like.

Cheers

qgaex
+withthatcoollaidbackbarposition+
qgaex
Lifer

Postby OlyVR » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 am

It's very easy to do, why not put a big fluffy towel on your tank and take out the 4 bolts holding down the bars?
Then you can hand-tighten everything and see if it all works. With the bike on the centerstand you can also unload the front and check for stretching of cables etc. in lock to lock movement. If all works, tighten it down and forget about it. If there's an issue you'll see where and either have the dealer do it, or buy the longer brake line. Either way you'll see where the issue is and don't have to rely on what they tell you may or may not need to be done. Since in my case it didn't take longer than 20-30 minutes, $140some seems excessive.

In my case I did not need to change the brake lines or reroute them.
For me it was as easy as lifting the bars, installing the Verholens and torquing everything back down.
8,000 miles later still have not experienced a problem.
Last edited by OlyVR on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oliver
2008 R1200GS
OlyVR
Lifer

Postby NeilS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:15 am

Just one word of warning: On mine, it seemed that the handlebar bolts were torqued down by an uncalibrated gorilla. The wrench I started to use to remove them was slightly worn, and it almost stripped out one of the bolt heads. So be sure you're using a good wrench and that it's fully engaged with the head.
NeilS
Basic User

Postby BackNBlack » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks for input on this - I appreciate! I have done handlebar swaps before on other bikes, so shouldnt be hard to pop on the Verholens, and then if I've got any question, I can have service check it when I'm in for my upcoming 6K.

Thanks again,

Bill
R1200R!
BackNBlack
Basic User

Postby NCGS » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 pm

I'd find another dealer if they wanted a buck-fiddy to install a pair of bar risers.

It'll be a bit easier if you have a friend hold the bars while you install the risers. That way you'll be able to keep the front brake and clutch reserviors level.

15-20 minutes, tops.. go for it.
NCGS
Basic User

Postby famousperson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm

NCGS wrote:I'd find another dealer if they wanted a buck-fiddy to install a pair of bar risers.

It'll be a bit easier if you have a friend hold the bars while you install the risers. That way you'll be able to keep the front brake and clutch reserviors level.

15-20 minutes, tops.. go for it.

Took me ten--without a friend...
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer

Postby BackNBlack » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah, and now that they quoted me $390 for the 6K service, I'll probably need to get the manual and some more tools. Insane - not what its worth, what they think they can get away charging me.
R1200R!
BackNBlack
Basic User

Return to R1200R